|Rector Public Library|
The Rector Public Library is a place to increase knowledge and can be a welcome retreat from the hustle-bustle of the workday world. It has long been an important part of the town, continuously growing to meet the needs of the community.
In 1934, Mrs. O.A. Lynch, who was president of the Woman's Club, developed the idea for a public library. In December of that year, a committee was appointed to plan for book collections. Members were Mrs. Gertrude Parrish, chairman, Mrs. O.L. Dalton, Mrs. C.T. Henry and Mrs. Avis Seely. The committee members went door-to-door, resulting in 250 books being donated.
The first library was located in the Legion Hut. Lawrence Elsass, who represented the legion, offered a room in the building. The first librarian was Mrs. John H. Hinemon, and the library officially opened with a formal tea on Feb. 1, 1935.
The need for additional space for the Rector library was reflected in the July 31, 1944, board minutes. At this time the city council offered to the library board the old commissary building on North Main Street. It was inspected and found it could be made usable with repairs and new decorations amounting to the sum of $160 as estimated by Mr. J.N. Ladyman. That year the library moved into the commissary. The event was celebrated with an open house held on Sept. 26, 1944. At that time, Mrs. Randleman was acting librarian.
The library moved to its current location, the former IGA supermarket building, on West Fourth in 1997. The Historical Room was dedicated in honor of Mrs. Randleman the same year. It now contains many historical items and photographs pertaining to Rector's history as well as housing several genealogical reference materials.
Librarians throughout the years, according to Library history: Mrs. John H. Hinemon, 1935, and 1945-1948, Mrs. Evelyn Horton, 1936, Mrs. Pearl Baker, 1939, Mrs. Florence Holifield, 1943, and Mrs. Evert Randleman, 1944-1990, and Geraldine Wagster, 1991-2002.
The present library staff includes Deana Mills, Library Director; Brenda Shelton, Assistant Director; Pam Schultz, Clerk and Laura Mooneyhan; volunteers are Barbara McKeel and Joan Johnson.
For a more detailed look at the library please visit-- www.rectorlibrary.org.